Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Connectivism Mind Map




Networks have changed the way in which I learn in the quantity of information and the diversity of the places that I can access it from. Having instant access to all my social networks on a phone gives me instant access to the thoughts and knowledge of others. By maintaining groups and people that I value and interact with both socially and professionally I am able to filter the content and knowledge I want to be a part of. Professionally this has given me access to other colleagues and educators that are using the same tools and networks. Any answer I need for any topic is easily found or asked about. If it is something I cannot find there will be someone to tell me where to look.
The digital tools that best facilitate learning for me are the Walden discussion boards, blogs, and the wiki pages made by other educators. Whenever I have a question I can post it in a social network and check my phone for responses.  

6 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I agree with you, networks have really changed the way that I learn and think that is a good thing. By having acess to all the networks, it just makes it possible to get insights from different people all around the world and to get advise on how to improve certain things or certains ways that you conduct class or plan lesson plans. I am truly greatful for networks and new resources.
    Nice post
    Julonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    I like the instant access to colleagues, family,and friends through these networks. Conversations can happen any time, anyplace, and spontaneously! By opening up these lines of communications, we are collaborating like never before. When else would I have the opportunity to talk to a colleague in Australia if it weren't for tools such as Twitter and LinkedIn?

    By connecting with other teachers and educators in different parts of the world, we can brainstorm ideas due to our different perspectives and experiences. My students are part of epals and I find it extremely helpful in connecting my students to a classroom half way around the world. Students are coming together to discuss learning skills and concepts but at the same time they are gaining an appreciation and understaning of a different culture and making new friends; a win-win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that one of the biggest benefits is our understanding of different cultures. Many of my students have a new interst in places that I do not think they would have been aware of before. I also feel that it has helped our students with discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    I looked at your mind map and I cannot avoid to think that one of the main aspects that changed the way he learn nowadays is the many communication alternatives available. They have allowed us to interact and collaborate with other students, and facilitator

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    My apologies; the prior message was incomplete. Below is the complete one.

    I looked at your mind map and I cannot avoid thinking that one of the main aspects that have changed the way we learn nowadays is the many communication alternatives available. They allow us to interact with the facilitators, and academic community. These advances have provided for a more interactive distant education.

    Yahira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,

    Nice post. I find myself doing a lot of the things that you mention as well. One thing, however, that I just can't seem to get down correctly, is getting replies to questions on Twitter and Facebook. I'm not sure if it's that I'm wording my questions incorrectly, but I seem to find that I get better and faster answers by just Googling my questions.

    I'm wondering if you have any tips for getting good answers out of Twitter and other social networks?

    ReplyDelete